Behrend College's first student newspaper, the Nittany Cub, filled the bins a mere month after the campus, known then as Behrend Center, opened for classes in the fall of 1948. The cover story was a rousing thank you to Mary Behrend for the gift of land and buildings that provided for the new schoolâ€™s existence. Through the years and the many title changes, including Behrend Collegian, Penn State Behrend Collegian, Collegian, The Behrend College Collegian, and currently The Behrend Beacon, the publishing of a student newspaper has been a proud Behrend tradition. This digital content contains the issues from 1948 through 2010.
The backfile of The Behrend Beacon image database was created from microfilm produced in November 2005 and 2011. With this current project in 2006 and 2011, the microfilm was digitized and sent for XML-encoding for installation onto the Olive server housed at the University Libraries. Using Olive's ActivePaper Archive the database of page images can be browsed and searched even to the article level and easily saved, emailed or printed.
Funding of the digitization and creation of the on-line image database was made possible by the Verna Lombard Endowment, Behrend College, Erie, PA.
For more information about this project contact:
Richard L. Hart
Director, John M. Lilley Library
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
5091 Station Road
Erie, PA 16563